Welcome to Booze Week: the TV edition
Everyone on both sides of the Atlantic knows how much the boys drink on Mad Men, giving an immediate boozing advantage to the Americans. But what about other TV shows? How does drinking match up? Maximum points go to shows that are actually set around drinking.
- For longevity, Coronation Street wins. UK fans have enjoyed scenes set in the Rovers Return pub since the 1970’s. (Scroll the minute 13 here.)
- Then there’s the East Enders version The Queen Victoria (known to regulars as the Vic.)
- Of course, everybody in America knows your name at Cheers. Bonus points awarded here for creatively named episodes like “From beer to eternity.”
- Back in the UK, Gavin and Stacey had an epic pilot drinking episode which set up the whole series…
- Not only does every doctor drink on Grey’s Anatomy, Cristina Yang even briefly quit medicine to take up bartending.
- This Brit comedian crossed the Atlantic to film a bar scene in New York.
Advantage – it’s a draw. Like everything, the Brits have been doing it longer, but the Americans have taken it to excess.